Saturday, July 6, 2013

It's True

You don't have a soul;
you are a soul.
You have a body.
C.S. Lewis
 
     I love this quote, I find myself thinking it often. Not usually about people, but when watching people with their animals. I have come to realize more and more that I see animals differently then most. Not as things, not as pets, not as lesser-thans, not as children, and not even as small people in furry suits. They are souls. Just like me, your neighbor, and the guy who works at the gas station. All just simply souls, different suits.
 
     Some have beautiful, complex minds. Some don't. Some are best at one thing, others excel at all. Some are funny and wild, some are crabby and quiet. Some are athletic, some are lazy. Some only want to be loved, others want a friend, and still others want an equal.
 
     Sometimes you will go somewhere and see happy souls, ornery souls, funny souls, brilliant souls, and then down the line somewhere a broken soul. A soul that didn't suit someone's needs, so they broken it into pieces and stole the body. You see it in people as much as animals. Sometimes you go places and don't see it. There is no sliver of pain running through the air, no sorrow, and no brokenness. These places are peaceful, tranquil, light, soft, and these places feed the souls that walk through them.

     I find it's one of my main desires in life to cultivate such a place. To feed souls, furry and otherwise, in the things I do. I desire to never break a soul to suit my needs, to accept the crazed and deranged around me with my own peace and compassion. I will thus be busy forever. 

 

1 comment:

  1. That is beautiful. You, my friend, are a wise soul.

    ReplyDelete